2020-21 Return to School Info
Mask and Safety Protocol Update
MCPS School Reopening Plan
Extended Learning Plan
Guidelines For Returning After Absence Due To Illness
Reopening Committee Recommendations
Frequently Asked Questions
Are we having in-person school this year?
Yes, we are beginning the year with in-person schooling 5 days a week. We are hoping this will continue throughout the school year.
Is there a possibility that we will have to do virtual school again this year?
- Yes, students and staff will be preparing in case virtual school is needed this year. If this happens, all students will have Chromebooks and will meet with their teachers online to continue their education.
Are there going to be sports this year?
- At this time, sports schedules are in place as normal. Extra precautions will be taken to keep participants safe and healthy. Our school will continue to follow MHSAA guidelines regarding sports practices and games.
What precautions are being taken to keep students and families healthy?
- We are following guidelines from the Health Department, the Center for Disease Control and the State of Michigan to help promote safety. In addition, we will be doing health screenings of all staff and students each morning. Rooms will be cleaned and sanitized often. Students will frequently wash their hands and use hand sanitizer.
What extra supplies does my child need this year?
- In addition to normal school supplies, students should have a few masks and wear one to school each day. If a student needs a mask, a disposable one will be provided.
What should I be doing to help prepare my elementary school student for school?
- Please practice proper twenty-second-long handwashing techniques with your student. Help to get them in the habit of standing 6 feet away from others whenever possible. Also, please have them practice wearing a mask so it becomes more comfortable for them.
Will my student be coming into contact with a lot of people during the school day?
- Elementary school students will spend most of the day in their own classrooms. They will eat lunch in the lunchroom, but separated from the other classes. Middle school students will stay in the same room for most of their classes during the day. Class period beginning and ending times will be slightly adjusted so that there are minimal people in the hallway at a time.
Will there still be special classes like band, gym and shop?
- Yes, these classes will still be held. Band and gym classes will be outside as much as possible. All classes will utilize social distancing.
Are masks mandatory at school?
- At this point, masks will be required for students in grades 6 - 12 and for all students on the bus, in the hallway, and whenever social distancing is not available. Mask breaks will be taken during the day, either outside or in the gym or multipurpose room. Masks will be recommended for students in the lower grades. This policy may change as time passes.
What if my child is unable to wear a mask?
- If your child has a reason they are unable to wear a mask it will need to be addressed through an IEP or 504 plan. Please notify the school immediately if this is the case so that the appropriate process can begin. One piece of information that will be needed is documentation from a physician or mental health professional, so please have this available to expedite the process.
Should I send my child to school if they feel sick?
- No! Please check your child’s Health and temperature before sending them to school. If they are at home due to quarantine or are feeling well enough, they may participate in their classes virtually. Please let the school know if your child will be doing this.
How will bussing work?
- Students will have their temperature taken before they get on the bus. Bus routes and times will be slightly different than in the past. Parents will need to call and reserve a spot for their children on the bus.
What can my child be looking forward to at school?
- Our teachers are so excited to work with our students again! They can’t wait to interact with their students - they were very missed. Students can look forward to learning, doing projects, spending more time outside than usual, and having a great time!